Realizing he needs a new spin on his horrible “oops” moment, Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry headed to David Letterman’s talk show.
What’s more cringe-inducing than watching Rick Perry’s unintentionally funny flop at this week’s presidential debate? Watching Rick Perry try to be funny, as he did when he presented “Top Ten Rick Perry Excuses” on David Letterman’s CBS show last night.
Only a few of the hypothetical explanations were actually funny — “You try concentrating with Mitt Romney smiling at you. That is one handsome dude!” and “I really hoped it would get me on my favorite talk show, but instead, I ended up here.” — and Perry ended up proving that politicians who pretend to be entertainers should just stick to the script.
Here’s the complete list, plus video!
Top Ten Rick Perry Excuses:
10. Actually, there were three reasons I messed up last night: 1) was the nerves and 2) was the headache and 3) um…uh…oops.
9. I don’t know what you’re taking about – I think things went well.
8. I was up late last night watching “Dancing with the Stars.”
7. I thought the debate was tonight.
6. You try concentrating with Mitt Romney smiling at you. That is one handsome dude!
5. Uh, El Nino?
4. I had a five-hour energy drink six hours before the debate.
3. I really hoped it would get me on my favorite talk show, but instead, I ended up here.
2. I wanted to help take the heat off my buddy Herman Cain.
1. I just learned Justin Bieber is my father.