Ah, July 4th, time to celebrate our independence by taking the day off work and shoving as many hot dogs down our gullets as physically possible. It’s just between us and our stomachs today—no government stooge telling us how many we can have or to “slow down on the booze.” It’s a beautiful thing, really.
At least to 70% of us. The other 30% aren’t sold on this whole independence thing.
A recent July 4-themed poll by Rasmussen (they do one every year apparently) found that while 70% of Americans agree with the basic concept of America outlined in the Declaration of Independence that “governments derive their only just powers from the consent of the governed,” 13% flat-out disagreed, and 17% weren’t sure.
Potentially this means that 13% of Americans would really prefer some kind of authoritarian or autocratic regime and another 17% aren’t sure, but they think something along those lines sounds good.
Alternately, it could mean that the combined 30% all have no clue what “governments derive their only just powers from the consent of the governed” means. We could have lost them at “derive.”
Happy 4th. At least there will be fireworks—politics aside, everyone likes explosions.
h/t: NY Mag
Image via Shutterstock