Winona Ryder hints at 'Beetlejuice' sequel but is 'sworn to secrecy'

Winona Ryder hints at ‘Beetlejuice’ sequel but is ‘sworn to secrecy’

Nov 20, 2013

Where we last left off in sequels-everyone-wants-but-will-never-happen news, director Tim Burton was in talks to direct the second installment of the “Beetlejuice” franchise (yes, it’s a franchise thanks to a defunct cartoon series, lunch boxes, et al) and Michael Keaton was “expected” to hop on board. (Keaton also hinted that Katy Perry might be in the mix.)

Now, Winona Ryder is in.

“I’m kind of sworn to secrecy,” Ryder told the Daily Beast. “But it sounds like it might be happening.” Ryder, albeit “sworn to secrecy,” did clarify that the movie is indeed intended to be a sequel, not a remake, and is set 27 years after the original.

But she’s aware of the risk in digging up celluloid carcasses and ruining the good name of a franchise with a shitty sequel. Which is why, Ryder says, she won’t make a move without the other principles. “It’s a very precious movie to people,” Ryder continued. “So there are a lot people like, ‘DON’T’ … I would never go near [a sequel] if it was not Tim and Michael, because those guys, I love.”

Almost 20 years ago, the initial treatment for a “Beetlejuice” sequel, titled “Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian,” made the rounds at Warner Bros., albeit briefly. Earlier this year, Seth Grahame-Smith (“Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter”) was attached to pen the 27-years-later script. He’s got a strong cast behind him, too, it sounds like. Still, nothing can bring back Otho. (R.I.P.)

source: TDB

Around the Web
Comments