For the second time, Donald Trump child rape accuser drops suit
The woman accusing Donald Trump of raping her when she was 13 years old dropped her lawsuit Friday evening, Politico reports. Without explanation, her lead attorney Thomas Meagher of New Jersey filed a one-page notice dismissing the case in a Manhattan federal court.
The dismissal follows a last-minute cancelation of a press conference on Wednesday in which the world eagerly awaited to hear from one “Katie Johnson,” aka “Jane Doe,” the anonymous accuser who had so far only appeared on camera to speak about her experiences disguised with her voice changed and face blurred. “She is living in fear. She has decided that she is too afraid to show her face,” attorney Lisa Bloom told reporters Wednesday.
Johnson previously filed in California, although that lawsuit was dismissed over “filing errors.” The most recent New York lawsuit was refiled with a new witness, and many individuals convinced of Trump’s status as a sexual predator were eager for this incident to be the nail in his coffin. However, as reporter Anna Merlan has reported extensively for Jezebel, the men pushing Johnson’s allegations are less than ideal characters, such as Al Taylor who The Guardian discovered was actually Norm Lubow, a former Jerry Springer producer.
While women like Johnson who state they were raped deserve to be taken seriously, and as Meagher argues, not judged by the men who have attached themselves to the case, the second dismissal indeed does not help make the case appear less sketchy.
Johnson had claimed that when she was a 13-year-old in 1994, she was invited to a series of parties thrown by convicted sex offender and pedophile Jeffrey Epstein under the guise of being scouted for a modeling career. She stated that at such parties along with Epstein, Trump raped her on more than one occasion, including one incident where Trump tied her to a bed.
In July, after much back and forth, reporter Emily Shugerman did speak on the phone with Johnson for Revelist. When Shugerman asked Johnson about pressing charges, she was told: “I mean I knew that what they did was wrong, but I didn’t know… I was afraid something bad would happen if I did.”
[Politico | Photo: Getty]