Fox News suspends Andrew Napolitano for Obama wiretapping claims

Judge Andrew Napolitano has been pulled from Fox News indefinitely over his claim that former President Obama asked British intelligence to wiretap Donald Trump during his presidential campaign, LA Times reports.

Napolitano has not been on the air since last Thursday, and “The Judge’s” absence was especially noted during today’s confirmation hearing for Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch. Sources told the LA Times Napolitano is “not expected to be on Fox News Channel any time in the near future.”

Napolitano claimed last week on “Fox and Friends” that in order to circumvent the law, which prevents the president from simply ordering surveillance on someone, Obama asked Britain’s Government Communications Headquarters to wiretap Trump for him. Napolitano also wrote a column for foxnews.com laying out his GCHQ conspiracy theory. Both his claims about GCHQ spying on Trump at Obama’s bidding and the initial claim that Obama in any way had Trump’s “wires tapped” are completely unfounded, but Napolitano forged ahead with this theory anyway, citing anonymous sources.

Both White House press secretary Sean Spicer and President Trump himself ended up picking up Napolitano’s claim, which led to several Fox News anchors denouncing the segment.

“Fox News cannot confirm Judge Napolitano’s commentary,” Smith said on Friday. “Fox News knows of no evidence of any kind that the now-president of the United States was surveilled at any time, in any way. Full stop.”

Bret Baier followed suit shortly after, stating, “We love the judge, we love him here at Fox, but the Fox News division was never able to back up those claims and was never reported on this show.”

[LA Times | Image: Fox News screengrab]