Anthony Weiner announces mayoral bid, despite new poll’s mixed results

Former Brooklyn congressman Anthony Weiner tossed his hat into the race for New York City mayor on Wednesday morning. His announcement to the press came via email with the below YouTube video, arguing his sympathetic and almost filial connection to the middle class. No dick pic talk whatsoever in the vid. “I made some big mistakes and I know I let a lot of people down, but I also learned some tough lessons,” he says. “I’m running for mayor because I’ve been fighting for the middle class and those struggling to make it my entire life. And I hope I get a second chance.”

With a $4.8 million campaign war chest (and possibly another $1 million from matching funds through NYC’s Campaign Finance Board program) and celebrity-status name recognition, Weiner may have one hell of a shot come September for the Democratic primaries. But a poll conducted and released the same morning as his mayoral bid suggests otherwise. The latest survey from the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute says the same number of NYC Democrats support Weiner as they did in the April 16 poll (15%, the second highest among candidates); however, the majority of NYC’s registered voters are not in support of Weiner. Roughly 49 percent of voters said that they would not support Weiner in the race while 38 percent approved of his candidacy.

There’s still a ways to go, of course, and who knows where the numbers fall once all the big endorsements come through. (Earlier this week Local 1199 of the Service Employees International Union, NYC’s largest union, said they would endorse Democrat Bill DeBlasio.) But leave it to the expert. Last month, Nate Silver said Weiner’s chances were a long shot. Curious what he has to say now.

Weiner’s first campaign video:

source: NY Times