Man fatally shot in NYC subway by retired corrections officer

Gilbert Drogheo, a 32-year-old man, was shot and killed Tuesday night in the Borough Hall subway stop in downtown Brooklyn. The shooter, whose name has not been released, was a 69-year-old retired corrections officer.

According to what one witness told the New York Daily News, the incident began around 6:30 pm at the Bowling Green station in Manhattan. The ex-corrections officer stepped between the victim and another man in order to board the 4 train. A Crown Heights resident, Thomas Berry, stated, “They were talking mad trash. They must have been drunk.” Berry claims that either the victim or his friend said “Oh, I got you now, my nigger” when the shooter attempted to walk between them.

At first the former officer seemed to keep his cool, as Berry further explained, “[The older man] said, ‘I’m not your nigger, I’m not your boy,’ he said, ‘Leave me alone, don’t talk to me.’ He was being really calm.” The police stated that all three men involved in the incident were black.

Things apparently escalated while the train was in transit which resulted in one of the men spitting on the shooter and then either punching or pushing him as they approached the Borough Hall station. The older man was able to separate himself from the other two at one point, but they then ran into each other again on the platform, at which point the altercation became physical again. Police say that one of the younger men grabbed the older man from behind during the fight. After that, the older man pulled out a gun, causing many bystanders to flee. The ex-corrections officer followed Drogheo up the platform stairs and cornered him near an exit. The two scuffled briefly before Drogheo was shot in the torso.

Drogheo was taken to Brooklyn Hospital Center where he eventually succumbed to his wound. His companion, whose name has also not been released, was arrested at the scene and taken in for questioning. The shooter was taken to Long Island College Hospital by police for treatment.

The president of the New York City Correction Officers’ Benevolent Association, Norman Seabrook, stated “I believe that we should wait until all circumstances are in before rushing to judgment,” noted that he believes the former corrections officer was “forced to use his weapon.”

So far, no charges have been filed. A “high-ranking police source” told the Daily News “He appears to be a licensed gun-holder, so unless it’s determined that it was a bad shooting, he shouldn’t be charged.”

In addition to the video, plenty of others were on hand to tweet about the incident.

[Metro | NY Daily News | New York Times | video: WCBS]