J.J. Abrams is coming back to direct ‘Star Wars Episode IX’

J.J. Abrams is returning to write and direct “Star Wars” Episode IX, regaining control of the mega franchise he successfully helped relaunch with “The Force Awakens.” Abrams was brought back after Lucasfilm and Disney earlier this month fired previous “Episode IX” director Colin Trevorrow over creative differences.

“With ‘The Force Awakens,’ J.J. delivered everything we could have possibly hoped for, and I am so excited that he is coming back to close out this trilogy,” Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy said in a statement. 

Abrams previously has said he regretted turning down “Episode VIII,” which is being directed by Rian Johnson and is due out December 15.

I’ll be the contrarian D+T staff Star Wars fan, but I though “The Force Awakens” was pretty good! So this is a sensible, fine move for the franchise.

It certainly  makes more sense to trust the director of your hit return-to-form “Star Wars” movie with sticking the landing of your franchise trilogy, instead of the guy who managed to make both dinosaurs and Chris Pratt totally boring in “Jurassic World.” Abrams showed an appropriate reverence for the “Star Wars” universe he inherited in “The Force Awakens,” while still relaunching a whole new universe and giving us some characters interesting enough to wash away the bad taste of the prequels.

Here’s hoping he doesn’t bring in his beloved time travel plot device this time though.

[Photo: Getty]