Woman claims Starbucks tea was so hot it killed her dog

A Denver woman is suing Starbucks over a cup of tea that was supposedly so hot it gave her second-degree burns and killed her dog.

Back in September of 2015, 58-year-old Deanna Salas-Solano went to grab some tea from a Starbucks drive-through. According to the lawsuit, when she was handed the cup, the tea didn’t have a protective sleeve and the lid wasn’t put on tight enough.

“Once Plaintiff received the cup of tea into her hands, the hot temperature of the cup began to burn her hands,” the lawsuit says. “Hot tea began to spill out of the cup through the unsecured lid and onto Plaintiff’s body.”

The dog then jumped onto Salas-Solano’s lap while she was “writhing and moaning in pain,” the lawsuit goes on. This caused the tea to spill onto the dog as well. He was taken to an animal hospital, but ultimately died from the burns her received from the tea. Salas-Solano meanwhile needed skin grafts after suffering “severe” burns on her thighs and stomach.

“We have video evidence that clearly contradicts the claims made by the plaintiff and believe they are without merit,” Starbucks responded in a statement. “We look forward to presenting our case in court. While we are sympathetic to Ms. Salas-Solano and the injuries she sustained, we don’t have any reason to believe our partner (employee) was at fault.”

According to Fox 31 Denver, which reviewed the tape, the video shows the cup most likely had a sleeve on it, contrary to the claim made in the lawsuit:

It shows Salas-Solano on her cellphone with her dog in her in her lap as she buys the tea.

The video also shows the hot tea did have a hot sleeve and it appears the lid was secure, though the video is not conclusive.

In the video, it’s hard to tell if Salas-Solano grabs the cup by the hot sleeve or by the lid when she accidentally spilled it.

It’s hard to determine if she spilled the tea because of the cup’s hot temperature or because she was distracted by her cellphone use or if perhaps her dog bumped into the cup while he stood in her lap.

Who was at fault for the spill seems somewhat secondary to the fact that the tea was hot enough to kill a dog. It just seems like that’s not something that should be served to humans.

Salas-Solano is reportedly seeking over $100,000 in damages.

[Fox 31 | Photo: Getty]

Tags: dogs, Starbucks