Seth MacFarlane explains 2013 Oscars jab at ‘abhorrent, indefensible’ Harvey Weinstein

Seth MacFarlane on Wednesday released a statement explaining his jab at Harvey Weinstein during the Oscars nominations announcement in 2013.

The actor and creator of “Family Guy” and “The Orville” alluded to the Hollywood producer’s sexual harassment claims while naming the nominated supporting actresses that year. “Congratulations, you five ladies no longer have to pretend to be attracted to Harvey Weinstein,” he said alongside Emma Stone.

That swipe was motivated by an account from Jessica Barth, the actress with whom MacFarlane worked on the “Ted” films and on “Family Guy.” She had told him about her 2011 encounter with Weinstein in a hotel room, an experience that was part of Tuesday’s New Yorker exposé, which includes three claims of rape.

“In 2011, my friend and colleague Jessica Barth, with whom I worked on the ‘Ted’ films, confided in me regarding her encounter with Harvey Weinstein and his attempted advances,” MacFarlane tweeted on Wednesday. “She has since courageously come forward to speak out. It was with this account in mind that, when I hosted the Oscars in 2013, I couldn’t resist the opportunity to take a hard swing in his direction. Make no mistake, this came from a place of loathing and anger.

“There is nothing more abhorrent and indefensible than abuse of power such as this,” he continued. “I respect and applaud my friend Jessica and those sharing their stories for their decision to come forward, and for being champions of the truth.”

MacFarlane joins Meryl Streep, Judi Dench, Bob IgerGeorge Clooney, Jennifer Lawrence, James Gunn, Leonardo DiCaprioBrie LarsonMegan EllisonJulianne MooreSeth Rogen, Kevin SmithLena DunhamJudd Apatow, John OliverPatricia Arquette and Mark Ruffalo, among others, who have spoken out on Weinstein’s decades of alleged sexual assault claims, which were first detailed in last week’s New York Times report.

Weinstein has since been fired from The Weinstein Co. and suspended by BAFTA, and USC’s School of Cinematic Arts has rejected his $5 million endowment to grant scholarships to women directors. His producing credit has since been pulled from TWC’s television shows, with Amazon reviewing its buzzy pair of upcoming shows from the company.

This story originally appeared in The Hollywood Reporter.

[Photo: Getty]